Thursday 5 September 2013

The Senate paper!

In one of those flashes of brilliance that occur all too infrequently during life, with nothing better to do on a wet and grey day here in Melbourne, I decided to avail myself of the chance to vote early for this federal election. Glad I did ... because I'd hate to be confronted by the task of correctly marking the senate paper with crowds of people lining up to 'do their duty' behind you.

The damned document seemed to be more than a metre in length and, is difficult to handle within the capacity of a normal voting booth, let alone find the correct box to mark ... even if you intend only to take the 'above the line' option. Folding the thing to a size that fits through the ballot box slot is no easy task either.

I'm all for the democratic freedom of people to stand for parliament ... but, I reckon the test for eligibility perhaps needs closer scrutiny because the vast majority of sole interest candidates on the election list this time around don't have as much chance of success as a snow-flake's likely survival in a furnace!

No comments:

Post a Comment