Wednesday 11 September 2013

9/11 twelve years on ...

As I write this it remains '9/10' in New York. However, as we get first use of the day, my tribute to the +/- 3000 victims and their families is not really premature.

It was certainly one of those 'where were you when ...' type of events. I used to flick around TV channels before shutting the 'box' down for the night. On that fateful occasion in 2001, I recall landing on CNN and seeing a single commentator burbling along with one of the towers smoking in the background. While he was conjecturing on why a 'light' aircraft should be flying low enough over Manhattan to 'accidentally' collide with a sky-scraper, another 'heavy' came in from the edge of the picture striking the second tower. For quite awhile, the reporter kept on about what he thought, assumed or had been told, about the first strike ... apparently oblivious of what had just occurred behind him.

Gob-smacked, I immediately phoned my 'night-owl' son in Sydney to ask if he had seen the astounding tragedy unfolding LIVE on international TV ... and, yes, he was similarly transfixed by the whole thing.

Also ranks high on the list of things I later wished I had NOT seen live.

No comments:

Post a Comment