Saturday 29 November 2014

Pidgin Pie #1



The genesis of this 'toon was my noticing the word pigeon repeatedly spelled with a 'd' before 'g' in a recent facebook post. I later noted that Webster's 20th century dictionary does allow a 'd' as an alternative to the generally accepted English version... but, my interest focussed on the other 'pidgin' with a legitimate 'd' which sprung from the fracturing of general english expression by colonial subjects during the empire period... chinese and south pacific native populations in particular.  The 'pidgin' word has come to mean fracturing of anything by either omission or mispronunciation of the subject item's salient components... be it language or 'things'. In that regard... pidgin seems to me to be an apt description of cartoonists' stock in trade... exaggeration and/or selective simplification.

Plenty laughter in dat pella, I reckon...

No comments:

Post a Comment