Sunday 19 May 2013

Who the hell was 'Hob'?

Early in 1990, I commenced life as a full-time professional free-lance cartoonist, after largely 'moon-lighting' in the role during a 32 year career in the airline industry.

For some reason which now escapes me, I decided to embark on the new undertaking with a pseudonym signature 'Hob.' I recall adopting it after researching alternative meanings of 'Rob', my first 'given' name. Apparently, 'Hob' was the nick-name of Robin Goodfellow a character in children's
fairy tales. It must've sounded appropriate to the work I was then launching into (?)

In any event, the 'Hob' sig. only lasted for about a year.

Here are 3 early examples of the 1990 work. The first 2 were published in the Bulletin from hand-coloured photo-copies of the B&W originals. Can't remember where the third landed. As you can see, I used speech balloons on single gag cartoons at the time, a habit developed by doing a number of comic strips during the same period. They were removed during the production process at the 'Bully', to be replaced by type-set captions in an italic Times-like font ... which I thought enhanced the work. Unfortunately, those were pre-computer days, so couldn't be emulated on original artwork (by me, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment