Saturday 4 May 2013

Cartoon styles circa 1980s

Back in March, I posted a piece about a few identifiable influences which had appeared in my work over the years ... but, had mostly been dispensed with to reflect changes in my own tastes. Recently, I received a request to elaborate on the various influences by posting some appropriate examples trolled from my somewhat disorganized archives.

Sooo ... this is for you Marti. Let's look firstly at 'big feet' which littered my gag and current affairs 'toons during the 1980s. As I mentioned in the March story ... I blame this trait on my fondness for the work of Jay Ward. The 'crash' gag is reproduced from a press cutting ... the remaining six are scans of original art. BTW ... these were the days before my stuff began appearing in colour and/or my use of computers. I could've added colour now ... but, I'm a purist at heart, so what you see is exactly as they were when published in various magazines.

More later, as the whim dictates.

No comments:

Post a Comment