Friday 24 May 2013

Vale Hazel.

I was distressed to hear of Hazel Hawke's passing. Though I was never fortunate enough to meet the lady face to face, I know a number of people who did enjoy that experience, including my own son. All of their reports confirm the high opinion I had formed of her since then husband, Bob, first came to prominence in the industrial relations arena.



I met RJ several times in both work and social environments during my career with Qantas. He was certainly good company and could move seemlessly in any group of acquaintances. I liked him a lot and, was elated when he became Prime Minister. I thought it high time the country had a leader who, despite possessing a high degree of intelligence (for a politician) was, frankly, a bit of a larrikin to go with it. In that regard, I'm sure he was more in touch with the desires of ordinary Australians in that era, than many of his predecessors had displayed. 


However, my immense respect for Hazel's demonstrated intelligence, apparent engaging manner when mixing with people at all levels of society, straight-forwardly transparent way of talking and, her obviously steadfast loyalty in dealing with the stresses attached to being 'first lady' of the nation, whilst coping with the formal (and private) undertakings of her famous husband ... far out-weighed my liking of Bob. Indeed, half-way through his prime-ministerial stint, I was telling friends and colleagues  ... "We elected the wrong Hawke. Shoulda been Hazel!"

Whilst visiting Canberra circa 1998, my son spotted Hazel (alone) climbing the steps of old Parliament house where she was attending a constitutional conference as a delegate. He tentatively approached her to convey the high esteem in which she was held by our family ... to which she replied "Oh, don't be silly. I'm just a simple old-bag !" ... or words to that effect. He recalls she then chatted for a while, then gave him a hug, before agreeing to have herself photographed with him. He has never forgotten the encounter ... and was similarly effected by her sad passing yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment