Sunday 21 July 2013

The past brought forward.

Below, I've reproduced my blog entry for 24/12/2012,  posted whilst a previous blog-site was suffering a glitch in its ability to receive and display graphics. In case those readers missed the image posted temporarily on another gallery site at the time ... I'm making good on the wish expressed in the last para of the xmas eve post.

(OK ... it's also a  filler to mask the fact that I'm spending most of today at my son's place in Gisborne, helping with the tidying up after reno works.)

"Miami State School fire

By rim on 24 December 2012 - 8:11pm

The apparently wanton vandalism at Miami State school last night (allegedly by children) is perhaps a regrettable consequence of failing parental control in this country and, by no means peculiar to Queensland. If it was the work of feral kids, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the law to hand out punishments appropriate to either the cost of physical damage to public property, or anguish the event will have caused to innocent students and/or their parents.

Without trying to trivialize the incident, I was amused by news reports that firemen attending the scene initially held back from attacking the blaze due to circumstances which were not clearly explained ... at least, not in the early morning newscast I was watching. It reminded me of a Stan Cross comic-strip I saw as a young man in the then Melbourne Herald. It was one of the famous Wally and the Major daily sequences, dealing with the main characters assembling to subdue a warehouse fire. I have lifted a form of the dialog to use in today's companion cartoon ... with suitable attribution to the source, of course.

Hope it's not too long before you can actually look at the image on this site."

No comments:

Post a Comment