Saturday 24 January 2015

Drawing collage



Today, as happens every day when circumstances allow, I practiced drawing for 10 to 15 minutes after breakfast. On this occasion I was concentrating on controlling the use of an 'el cheapo'* throw-away marker which just happens to produce a line suited to my current idea of simplifying both the production and look of my topical cartoons. The reason it's temporarily difficult to control is that I've always been partial to a stiff marker tip for cartooning purposes...and, this unit is unusually soft. It is also clearly intended for use on hot-pressed surfaces, whereas I'm wedded to heavy bond stock for hand-drawn art... (because I've got ream upon ream of the stuff to get rid of before 'I fall off the twig',  as it were).

Anyway, most of this practice stuff usually goes straight into the waste bin ... since there is normally no purpose in it other than to hone line-production. I was about to do the same with this group of unrelated 'mind wanderings' when I thought it might be interesting for someone or other to see my daily prep. doodles for once, So, this collage was pasted together on a single A4 sheet... then as an added bonus, I decided to spot colour some of the basic B & W drawings with some 30/40 year old coloured inks that are derelicts from the pre-computer colouring era.

No comments:

Post a Comment