Friday 16 January 2015

Barassi caricatures # 1



Ron Barassi was/is a giant among AFL footballing notables...both as a player and later coaching at the elite level. Back in 2003, I did a caricature of the great man which was a possible starter as an illo in a book titled Kicking Behinds, then being put together by ACA* notables Jim Bridges and Paul Harvey together with former Age football writer, John Ross. The comic survey of AFL football (warts and all) from a cartooning point of view was published by Penguin Books (ISBN O 14 300125 6,) the same year. A couple of my contributions made the cut... but not the 'Barassi'.

At last year's xmas BBQ the Barassi caricature came up in conversation. At the time I said the original work had thwarted attempts to find it among my hap-hazardly stored cartoon archive. Then, just yesterday, I stumbled over it whilst looking for something else (the essence of my filing system).

So here it is for those who may not have known what the Barby chatter was about. It is A4 size drawn and lettered using various sized markers.

No comments:

Post a Comment