Wednesday 7 October 2015

A 'filler' to top all 'fillers'?



Because of time compression I opted to dredge-up a blog-piece from this day in 2011 (the year I started a daily cartoon blog which preceded this one). Indeed, I was also able to find the accompanying text to support the 'toon. Beware... I was a lot more verbose in those days!

Smilin' through.
By rim on 7 October 2011 - 11:13am

Just after the 7am news on ABCFM today, I heard that this is international 'SMILE day'. No problem except ... there isn't a hellova lot going on in the world that would normally elicit a smile, smirk or warm facial reaction of any kind. I mean ... the shadow of imminent financial disaster due to profligacy on the part of our European and/or American brethren? Children being run-over by trains and/or buses in various Australian states during the past week? More expensive 'task forces' being invented to delay urgent remedial action on tax reform and/or job losses in the manufacturing industry? Very amusing, I don't think!

And, now a 14 year-old boy has been nabbed by Indonesian police for allegedly buying/being in possession of an illicit drug at a Bali beach resort. The well-known Canberra 'Hockey-nut' is quoted this morning as asking fellow-Australians not to be too dismissive of that boy's plight ... but, rather, to think back to what they might've been doing at 14 years of age.

OK Joe. Bearing in mind the dictum 'not guilty until proven so', at this stage of my 14th year I had completed my secondary education at Yallourn Tech. and was in the 10th month of my first job as a Photographer's assistant. Having not long survived the struggles/austerity of the great depression and WW2, neither I nor my family were in a position to even contemplate overseas holidays within the then foreseeable future. I was not addicted to, nor interested in any type of illicit drug procurement ... but, I think I had a reasonably intelligent respect for the laws governing the civilised society in which I dwelt. Sure, this kid is apparently terribly remorseful, depressed and, apparently off his food. I can understand that. He is alleged to have been caught 'red-handed' as it were and faces a nasty immediate future if convicted under extant harsh Indonesian laws dealing with drug possession, trafficing etc.

But, I can't help wondering how the 14 year old would be feeling today if he hadn't been caught in the alleged act?!

Sorry, I'm not smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment