Friday 23 August 2013

Aircraft noise.

I live in an urban area on the same plateau as Tullamarine International Airport ... indeed, the main dormitory area of the town lies directly under the busy north-south runway. Thus, a perennial bone of contention in the community is the question of aircraft noise, intensified lately because the airport authority has recently announced plans for runway duplications to accommodate projected expansion of air traffic in coming years.

I am not particularly fussed by the alleged problem, having spent 32 years in very close proximity to modern aircraft. I rarely notice them ... especially landings when there is no extra-ordinary engine noise until the craft is actually on the ground. Perhaps I am inured of obnoxious sounds generated by aeroplanes ... or, they have destroyed my high-frequency hearing altogether?

Whatever, I made my home here in 1972 during a flush of home building in the area. In my case, it was a deliberate act to situate myself as near as possible to my then work place. I suspect that was also the guiding principle for the majority of new settlers. The 'township' at the time was totally rural with hardly any houses outside the environs of the village itself. Nobody moving here could credibly say they were unaware there was a large commercial airfield right 'next-door'! In addition, it was disclosed from day one in July 1970, that future expansion would be inevitable. So, it is the 'johnny-come-lately' element who are the main source of the current discontent.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment