Wednesday 3 April 2013

Billboard

Incidental to yesterday's post, I mentioned the comic-strip format of cartooning. Of all the forms of comic doodling I have undertaken, strips are my favorite medium of story telling. My most successful effort was a send-up of the I.T. industry titled Rarebits which ran weekly in a trade magazine (Pacific computer weekly) for over ten years bridging the 1980s/90s.

However, my BIGGEST strip (literally) was a single episode of a web comic called ANTipodes which occupied an entire 3 x 1.4 metre bill-board attached to a Pub in the inner-Melbourne suburb of Richmond for a month or so during the latter part of 2009. It was part of a year-long exhibition promoting the work of Melbourne-based cartoonists. The theme was historical Melbourne, so I chose it's discovery by John Batman inter-twined with a then current event (yes folks, the 'stop the boats' slogan aint new) ... being acted out in the parallel universe of ANTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment