Thursday 25 April 2013

ANZAC day.

Now that all the marching, speeches, boozing and big-time 'commemorative' sport etc. is out of the way ... the big question remains unanswered. What was the compelling reason that tens of thousands of young Australian lives were carelessly and often wantonly wasted in the WW1? We know what was lost ... but, what was gained? (and, please, nobody tell me 'our freedom'). Understand, I'm talking only about the 'war to end all wars' primarily, because it was the one which spawned the ANZAC legend ... and, unlike WW2, there was no credible threat whatsoever, to the Australian homeland.

I started asking this question when I was +/- 8 years of age. At 78 I'm still waiting for an acceptable answer which doesn't involve white-washing of imperialist motives.

Nonetheless, I hope you all enjoyed the holiday in whichever way you chose to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment