Friday 8 May 2015

Letterman



I've never really been into 'on the spot' caricaturing (though I admire greatly those 'toonies' who do it successfully). However, I often scribble quick pencil sketches from TV, just as practice in capturing likenesses.

Back in early 2006 I was recovering from a bout of major surgery which had severely curtailed my cartooning activities. One night, lolling in front of the TV... the David Letterman show came on. More in frustration than anything else, I grabbed a small drawing board, the nearest piece of paper within reach and a chisel-point marker. In less than a minute, I ripped-off a caricature of DL which remains today as one of my proudest accomplishments. Here it is... unedited except to add a BG colour to highlight what was essentially a B&W image on the back of a local Domino's Pizza 'special offer letter-box drop.

Would you believe Large varieties were only $4.95 at the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment