Wednesday 24 September 2014

And, the 'CHARLIE' goes to...




There was a time many, many moons ago when I lived and breathed Aussie Rules football. I hated the immediate aftermath of the (then) VFL grand final each year and the pseudo-void created by the removal of goal and behind posts from local sports ovals, ushering in yet another long, hot summer. Strangely, I was probably better at playing cricket than footy... it just didn't excite the same passion in me.

As a player, I pushed the footy-playing envelope to the extent of going around with the famous Collingwood club for several years in their third XVIII (captain in 1954) and a few games with both the 'Pies' and Carlton VFL seconds before succumbing to a combo of a bad ankle injury and bloody National service. Later, marriage and work caused me to drift away from my footy fixation to the extent that I now hardly ever take the slightest interest in AFL doings in general... and the annual Brownlow medal count gala in particular. Thus, announcement of this year's winner of the medal (evidently now nick-named the 'CHARLIE' after Charles Brownlow whom the 'best and fairest' player award commemorates) went to a West Coast Eagles player who apparently was not on the radar among pundit favorites(?)  I'd certainly never heard of him!

Nonetheless... congratulations to Matthew Priddis.


No comments:

Post a Comment