Saturday 8 February 2014

Week-end walk-about in times past...

During the late 1970s-early 80s my business card was inscribed 'Cartoonist and Illustrator'. As a matter of fact, I had never really thought of myself as anything but a drawer of (hopefully) funny pictures. Whilst I could depict whatever my eye could see well enough, I didn't reckon I had the patience to satisfactorily illustrate other people's written copy or ideas... nor did I think anyone would ever ask me to do so.

However, sometime in 1981 the editor of Australian Hospital (a tabloid health industry trade newspaper which had been a regular home for my 'pocket' type cartoons) apparently decided to experiment with a front page lead story illo and, sought my help in 'making it so'. These articles were dealing with serious health issues of the time so, hardly lent themselves to my normal light-hearted approach to current affairs. What did suit my style in those days (drawing big using a brush and ink) was the accompanying decision to splash the illos across 6 columns!

Here are some of the early published outcomes.





No comments:

Post a Comment