Monday 9 November 2015

Young Guns beware...

... the woods are full of predators just waiting to suck you in, feed off your talent, then offer only a one-finger salute (if that?) in recompense.

Back in 1989, ABWAC was approached by a supposed regional media figure seeking contributions from pro-'toonies to illustrate a comical book about wedding day tribulations. In those days, ABWAC (fore-runner of ACA) could only pass-on job-ops. to members by 'snail'-mail or irregular issues of Ink-spot. Certainly, e-mail was still in the future for most (if not all) of us! Whatever, I learned of the requirement from our association so thought it must be 'cosher'. I immediately scribbled out a few roughs plus my contact details and a 'per cartoon' quote on a single A4 sheet of bond paper (land-scape) using a Rotring-type cartridge pen... and off it went to the seeker of help.

Months passed and a follow-up letter to the commissioning personage remained un-answered so I figured the job had been grabbed by other 'toony' brethren,,, and. good luck to them. Some time later, I was in Sydney to finally wind-up my 'real job' career with Qantas when I strolled into a COMIC shop in the CBD precinct to kill time with a bit of a browse. (Don't know if it was the one Comic Kingdom lately reported to be closing down, but that event certainly prompted this memoir.) In the remaindered book section, I came across THE bloody book! Both the front and back covers where adorned with the 'roughs' I had sent off as EXAMPLES of my work only. The book itself had a large quantity of work by other well-known 'toonies' ... and, I assume they were paid the same amount as me *Zilch*?!

Did I buy a copy of the 'book'? No fear! Why would I want to contribute more to the coffers of this thieving bastard?! I reported the event to ABWAC who I think had, by then, been acquainted with the rip-off. If memory serves...I think I also sent off a par for Ink-spot.

The cartoons in question are rearranged in the piece accompanying this, Only my contact details have been dropped.

Be very careful out there comrades, The same thieves are still at large... but now shielded by 'social media'?

No comments:

Post a Comment