Saturday 1 March 2014

Where there's smoke...

... there's a fire in the open-cut brown-coal mine serving Hazelwood power station in the Latrobe valley of Victoria.

Because of extreme difficulties encountered by fire-fighters in tackling the blaze, together with weather conditions generally lacking a wind component, the near-by town of Morwell has been virtually shrouded in potentially toxic smoke for over a week. Authorities estimate it may be a further week or so before the fire can be controlled and extinguished.

The health of town residents must be of great concern... particularly the elderly and children. Our part of Melbourne was similarly covered by bushfire smoke for 4 or 5 days early in February (though, less intense than the Morwell experience, I presume). I, for one, became gradually more lethargic as the cloud persisted. Irritation of my lungs and throat clearly became worse as the period of exposure lingered. Fortunately, the weather changed and strong winds quickly dispersed the menace. Improvement in my general well-being began within hours of the atmospheric clean-out. Morwell has already suffered for substantially longer than we did. I dare say the smoke and particulate arising from a coal-fed fire would also be far more toxic than the result of mainly grass-fires which affected us. We can only hope that nature comes to their aid by laying on some decent winds to give the beseiged inhabitants some relief.

My interest in the plight of Morwell residents is further prompted by the fact that I spent 4 or 5 years of my boyhood in the town. My dad was posted there as a policeman halfway thru' WW2. I completed both primary school and almost all of my secondary education (at the now defunct Yallourn Tech.) during our time at Morwell. My dad was later appointed O.i.C. at nearby Moe before returning to Melbourne during the early 1950s. Hence, I know the area well.

I just hope the current tribulations haven't dulled the laconic sense of humour generally possessed by our country brethren. After all, Morwell is where I learned my version of it!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment