Saturday 29 March 2014

Early days of B&W




These are B&W op/ed cartoons published in TravelWeek during 1979 and '80. Indeed, the one featuring a kiwi was the first ever of mine in that magazine. It appeared in Feb,'79.

The Ansett father and son piece appeared in May of '79, eliciting a request for the original by Bob Ansett himself. I believe it was on the wall of his Budget office for some time.

The remaining example is from May1980. It depicted the then joint leadership of Ansett (by none other than 'Rupe' Murdoch (News) and Sir Peter Abeles (TNT) representing shared control of the airline) and the TAA figurehead (Sir Robert Law-Smith) pondering the Qantas reaction to their refusal to pro-rate domestic leg components of through international fare structures (if I recall correctly. It was a long time ago).

I actually wince every time I see stuff from that era. It was my 'big foot' phase. I now think big feet are just a silly distraction from other more important points of recognition in a cartoon figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment