Sunday 9 March 2014

Caricature 1994/5.

As I've possibly mentioned before, I have very few archived original examples of the industry nabob caricatures I was doing for TravelWeek magazine during the time artwork was still being done in the traditional 'pen and ink on paper' era. That was largely because I had a deal with the editor to accept an additional stipend over and above my usual fee, so the mag. publisher could have the originals mounted/framed for presentation to each of the 'victims' of my work. Previous to the 'arrangement', subjects of the art-work often came direct to me to purchase originals. Frankly, it was a nuisance hassling about cost, then having to pack and despatch the items... so the deal was a 'win-win' for all concerned.

Today, I've scanned a sample set of originals I still possess. The personalities depicted are doubtless unknown to anyone casually visiting this blog, but in the context of my cartooning past, these caricature jobs formed a solid base platform for all the other not so regular stuff I was turning out at the time. These were evidently part of an exhibition, because I had gone to the trouble of affixing small pics of the individuals so viewers had a reference to how the subjects actually looked in 'real'.

In order, they are Keryn Smith, grp mgr Tek Travel in NZ. - 09/11/1994... Jim Clements, UFTAA (international federation of Travel Agent associations) - 23/11/1994... and, Chris Chaplin of Thos, Cook - 18/01/1995. The situations in which each were pictured was illustrative of some part of the accompanying printed interview texts.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful caricatures - wouldn't ming seeing some more - I love the pen and ink line work, it gives your 'victims' real character.

    PS. Happy belated birthday! Big celebrations for next year?

    Marti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for the compliments Marti. I was at the top of my game in those days.

      Not worried about next birthday. Stopped counting about 10 years ago!

      Delete