Wednesday 12 June 2013

The little shop that died.

Earlier this year our little local shop closed. It has been on the market since January ... obviously no punters around, so it's now available for lease or rental 'very cheap'. Don't think there's going to be a stampede to take up the new offer(?)

Strangely, though the mixed business and I have shared this urban enclave for 40 years ... I don't think I've ever really noticed the entire name of the shop, which has adorned  the building since day one. As you will see from today's cartoon representation, the shop is actually attached to the street frontage end of an 'L' shaped house. The base of the 'L' runs parallel to the road, but on the down-side of a concreted customer car-park with access to the shop through a side door. The name of the establishment is painted on a cantilevered awning around the side and facia of the shop thus ... ONE STOP - SHOP in large white letters on a pale blue background (very poor graphic design awareness there if I may say so). I always thought the name was just 'SHOP' (which also bemused me a little, since it was plainly obvious what the building was supposed to be). The illusion probably can be attributed to the fact that the few times I used it over the years, always involved entering from the 'blind' side after the short walk from home only a hundred or so metres down the road ... and, never by car using the park.

Whatever, I DID notice the full sign yesterday ... which led me to leveraging some humour from an otherwise sad situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment