Tuesday 4 June 2013

First ever digital toon output.

In response to urging from editorial staff of Travel Week magazine, I produced the following cartoon on my home computer on July 2., 1997 for delivery on disk. It was produced from scratch on an LC Mac using Freehand. It was exported in Eps format for later rasterization by the 'zine's own in-house art dept. At the time, I had my own toy version of Photoshop, but it couldn't export CMYK graphics.

The computer came with a 500meg HD but, boasted only 4mb of dynamic ram out of the box. I had pumped that up to the max. allowable (a 'whopping' 32 mb) at a cost of $1770 ... which was a fortune in '97. (Actually, dynamic ram was more valuable than GOLD!)

The result is displayed below. As a point of interest, right up to the deadline, I was not confident the transition would work. Thus, I did the same ed/ 'toon in the previously used traditional  hand-drawn and painted mode, just in case the digitized version fell at the last hurdle. I will scan a copy and post it tomorrow ... just for comparison. (Naturally, I didn't possess a capable scanner in July '97.)

BTW ... the 'toon was inspired by announcement of a (perhaps facetious) Qantas' study as to whether gambling facilities might be an appropriate addition to then extant in-flight passenger entertainment systems. At the same time, reduced opportunities for engineering apprenticeship seekers was a cyclical fact of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment