Sunday 14 June 2015

Jacqui's Army?



A couple of weeks ago, during my daily practice doodling I did a quick 'from memory' caricature of Jacqui Lambie's head which (I thought) turned out quite nicely. So... I put the Artline 90 (blue)* sketch aside hoping I could use it when/if J.L. popped-up on the current affairs scene sometime soon.

Yesterday I noticed a post on FB by the lady herself spruiking an idea that unemployed youth, instead of dole.payments could undergo 12 months of paid military training akin to the first National Service training system adopted in Australia during the late1940s/50s.

It suggested the above cartoon in relation to J.L.'s earlier announcement of forming a 'Lambie network' after her parting from the P.U.P. group.

* as a result of my 'use the nearest tool to hand' policy.

Aside from the satire... National Service did me a lot of good in terms of discipline and resourcefulness when applied to later life situations... so I'm not against her suggestion at all. I must've been reasonably good at the military caper because I was nominated for a NCO cadre course soon after going into the N.S, ranks, which meant I completed the nominally three  months of training in 3 weeks. I then became an assistant trainer for the rest of the full-time stint and the 3 or 4 years of part-time commitment which followed. During N.S. experience, I was offered a place in an Officer Trainng academy preparatory to a career in the military. I refused. I wasn't all THAT keen on the 'Yes sir, No sir, three bags full, sir' dictum upon which military culture is based!

No comments:

Post a Comment