Thursday 28 May 2015

Pyne on Math?



Christopher Pyne thinks mathematics should be a compulsory subject for all students up to year 12.  And, if a majority of students are interested in other key subjects required to prepare a strong basis for their chosen life career... then, the time and money wasted on swotting mathematics is justified... because C.P. thinks it's important?

Stick to your own knitting Chris, I recently passed my 80th birthday of what has been a moderately successful working life, most of which was spent as a 'coal-face' manager in the airline industry. Sure... an understanding of basic arithmetical theory was necessary to perform my many and varied role(s) day to day, but I can say without doubt that I've never been called upon to use 'higher' forms of mathematics (eg. Algebra) to achieve any purpose whatsoever in paid employment during my lifetime.

If I'd wanted to be a mathematician... or perhaps a related profession like some forms of Engineering, I would've needed to opt for math-rich study at secondary and later level education. As things turned out for me (and I suspect the massive majority of ordinary citizens) such study and time wasted would not have enhanced my subsequent working life one jot!

No comments:

Post a Comment