Thursday 26 March 2015

Vale Lee Kuan Yew 1923 - 2015




A great 'doer' who transformed Singapore from a grubby colonial back-water into an independent, vibrant and progressive city state republic, which he ruled for over three decades. Although nominally democratic, Lee's Singapore was virtually a one party state because of the overwhelming and sustained popularity of his People's Action Party. I visited the city frequently during the 1970s growing to love the place and its people amongst whom I made many, many friends. The only sadness I ever encountered there was my own feeling when the constantly growing  new city finally engulfed the original authentic china-town section.

This was a c.1981 pen and ink caricature sketch I made of the great man... probably from live TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment