Thursday 5 June 2014

Tank-man.



Today is the 25th anniversary of an incident which I reckon was one of the most memorable in my long sojourn on this rock.

As far as I can determine, the fate of this super-brave individual has never been satisfactorily established in the west. He was apparently last seen being ushered from the scene by two by-standers... but, were they fellow demonstrators or under-cover government agents?

I've always been a great admirer of practically all things chinese... their history, art, culture, cuisine etc. I'm not all that fond of the current regime's philosophy or machinations... but, in the sweep of their long history the communist tenure is probably not the worst ever, nor is it all that notable for longevity.This incident casts an unfortunate shadow on my high regard for our chinese brethren.

I'd just like to know what became of 'tank-man' before my 'use-by' date rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment