Monday 21 April 2014

Vale Neville Wran



Perhaps a genuine giant of Australian politics. One of the longest reigning state premiers, he never suffered a defeat in in any form of election during his long career. He always presented himself to me (an observer) as intelligent, witty and seemingly on top of his game as a leader. Many (including me) would've liked to see him apply his talents in the federal arena. It wasn't to be, but I think his influence probably had a lot to do with the ascendancy of the Hawke-Keating administrations of the 80s and 90s(?)

Though my cartooning career spanned his entire time in politics, I recall being asked to depict him a couple of times only in 'spot' caricatures. They were both B&W when drawn originally, but I have applied back-ground colour to both of these repros in highlighting the caricatures.

Incidentally, NW bore the nick-name Nifty from his pre-politics time in law. However, a colleague or maybe someone in media must've bestowed the appellation 'Never Wrong' upon him, during the latter part of his career. From what I know of the man, it was probably coined to hail his un-erring ability to read the mood of the electorate at critical times in the political cycle... hence his no loss record? Although I have a habit of nick-naming pollies and other notables with nick-names using their real initials... I had nothing to do with 'never wrong' except to follow someone else's handiwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment