Sunday 13 October 2013

Telecommunications stuff

From 1998 to 2007 I contributed a lot of work to a Telecommunications industry quarterly magazine based in Melbourne. I provided cartoons, cover layouts/ illustrations and, despite my protesting that I was not a qualified graphic designer, once or twice assisted the editorial management by re-designing op/ed pages to accommodate new featured writers. The relationship was mutually beneficial since it honed my knowledge of press layout and production, whilst giving me a valuable insight into the rapidly developing telecommunications industry (eg, the mobile revolution was in train at the time) ... and, the jargon associated with it. In return, I was able to contribute to their understanding of the publishing industry by sometimes acting as a go-between in negotiations between the magazine editorial staff (all senior telecoms personnel and/or industry academics) and the graphic arts studio who were originally responsible for the basic magazine design.

It was fun. I particularly appreciated the fact that they were very prompt in payment for services rendered.

Here are a couple of examples of the stuff I was doing for them. The cover was from the middle of 2004. The uderlying 'swirls' design and mast-head were down to the pro-design studio. The rest including cartoon illo and story leads text and layout were my handiwork. The cartoon was a standard feature of each issue ... this one appeared in the Autumn 2006 issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment