Monday 22 May 2017

William Ellis Green (AKA) WEG. 1923-2008.

Bill Green's work as a cartoonist for the H&WT newspaper group was always the key reason for me to buy their daily publications. His output was prodigious and I still consider his style of drawing and comical on the spot caricature to be the best of have ever encountered. As essentially a consumer and admirer of his product I never thought I would ever meet the bloke let alone be accepted as a fellow pro-'toonist and friend.

But, c.1985 I was invited to join the Victorian chapter of the Australian Black&White Cartoonists' club and 'WEG' became 'Bill' from then until he sadly passed away in 2008. Bill was never a keen adopter of computers as a tool in the cartooning profession, whilst I was quick to see the role IT could play in simplifying colour cartoon reproduction. We had many jocular debates on the subject over the odd beer or two but it never dimmed my respect for the giant Bill was in the history of Australian cartooning.

Here's a caricature I did of my 'cobber' in 2003.


No comments:

Post a Comment